Location: Mogadishu International Airport (MIA), Mogadishu citywide
Event: As of early October, al-Shabaab allegedly planned to target Mogadishu International Airport with a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) due to the presence of unspecified embassies and private companies located on the compound.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kenya Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow the U.S. Embassy Nairobi on social media. Our twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKenya, and our Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/U.S.EmbassyNairobi.